Can’t come but still want to help?
Most nests are brought to us by local egg collectors and we happily pay for them so we can safeguard them in our hatchery.
Egg collectors (some people would call them “poachers”) are local inhabitants who don’t have a stable income and no other income opportunities. Thus they rely on the extraction of natural resources in order to make a living.
Sea turtle eggs are heavily commercialized in Nicaragua and their extraction from public beaches is NOT regulated – thus, up to 100% of the eggs laid are taken and sold or consumed.
If we don’t buy the nests, the collectors will either sell them to local merchants or use them to feed their family.
Adopting a nest is a perfect way to help us cover the costs – no matter where you are.
In order to finance our conservation activities and especially our sea turtle program, we rely on international volunteers and tourists. When we don’t make enough money, the number of nests we can buy and protect is severey limited!!!
Why adopt a nest?
- You help us protect dozens and hundreds of nests in 2022
- 100% of your donation is used for buying eggs from the endangered Hawksbill turtle, the rare Green turtle or the heavily poached Olive Ridley turtle
- Your money does not only generate strong and healthy baby turtles, but also feed one local family for several days
By adopting a nest, you receive
- An email as soon as the nest has been protected
- A personalized sign in our hatchery
- A donation certificate from MEMANTA
- An email as soon as the nest has been released
- Pictures of the hatchlings (might be taken at nighttime with red light)
You will be redirected to Donorbox – a secure online service for collecting funds. You can pay in different currencies using your credit or debit card!
15 EUR buys one smaller nest
20 EUR buys one bigger nest
Thank you and we hope to see you soon anyway!
Payments in EURO can also be made via SEPA.
Account holder: Daniela Berg
IBAN: DE02 2004 1155 0795 0181 00
Make sure to leave us your e-mail address as payment reference so we can get in touch with you!